Friday, July 1, 2022

Disability Pride Month

 By Ed H.


The Disability Pride Month was established in July 1990 after the Americans with Disabilities Act was passed.
Disability Pride Parade defined their mission in three ways: “To change the way people think about and define “disability,” to break down and end the internalized shame among people with Disabilities, and to promote the belief in society that Disability is a natural and beautiful part of human diversity in which people living with disabilities can take pride.”
The Disability Pride Flag was created by Ann Magill, a disabled woman, and each of its elements symbolizes a different part of the disability community.
The Black Field: this field is to represent the disabled people who have lost their lives due not only to their illness, but also to negligence, suicide, and eugenics.
The Colors: each color on this flag represents a different aspect of disability or impairment.
Red: physical disabilities
Yellow: cognitive and intellectual disabilities
White: invisible and undiagnosed disabilities
Blue: mental illness
Green: sensory perception disabilities

To help better understand Disability Pride Month Ed H interviewed four members of BMore Clubhouse  asking for their personal experiences with stigma, self  acceptance  and being proactively assertive to convey facts about living with disability to improve acceptance for disabled people.
Jeffrey M said: I like the BMore clubhouse because I have a lot of friends here and taking my medication helps with my disability.
Shakira H said: I experience stigma from family as well as the general public. My family treats me like I'm less than, I feel like   they play the blame game on me and disapprove of my desire to be successful on my terms independent of them.  People underestimate me, they don't understand where I'm coming from.  
Cusa L said: My disabilities are invisible. People talk around me. They speak unkindly about people with disabilities. I feel frustrated with this but it gives me an opportunity to challenge their preconceived notions and incorrect perceptions. I like to be a great example respecting people for their basic humanity discovering and developing their unique abilities and achieving their dreams.
Tavone L said: I like being able to come and go freely, socialize, and build relationships with other people. I really like Saturday brunch too.
Ed H said: My disabilities are not physically obvious so I frequently experience stigma in numerous ways. One example is sometimes when I put my bike in the rack on the bus , greet the driver using my senior/disability, I get looks and sometimes harsh comments or big attitudes. I suspect because I'm well groomed, well spoken and upwardly mobile I shouldn't be using a disability bus pass.
To sum it up, Disability Pride month is about acceptance of our disabilities as well as ourselves. To discover and develop our unique abilities and to gently and positively affect change in people through educational awareness. Thank you for your support and understanding. Ed H

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fundraiser Gala

Interview with Rosemary Quinn, Board Chair of B'More Clubhouse What goes into planning an event like this?   A lot which is why we hav...